Da Plane! Da Plane!

For those that are too young to remember that quote, “Da Plane! Da Plane!” is from the original Fantasy Island TV show. And that particular line was from the midget known as Tattoo, Khan’s right-hand man. Or Mr. Roarke, whatever.

TequilaCon 09 TattooI bring up Tattoo because I may actually be getting my first tattoo in a couple of weeks. Not the TequilaCon variety of tattoo, which comes off within a few days, a REAL one.

That’s right, Mr. Wild & Crazy is tatless. But my pending road trip to Lexington, Kentucky for the party fest known as ConFab has me thinking about getting one. There’s going to be a tattoo excursion and I think I’m going along for it.

The problem with tattoos, for me anyway, is finding the right one. What the hell do you put on your body PERMANENTLY when you’re one of those people who bore fairly easily? It’s not like my desktop wallpaper, where I can change the picture dozens of times a day if I feel like it. Tattoos don’t come off. Not without lasers, at any rate, and I’ve yet to go peeling off layers of epidermis with laser beams…don’t feel like starting now, either.

So contemplating something cool enough to place on your body is difficult, especially when you’re thinking 40 years down the road. What’s cool enough, significant enough, to put on your arm or shoulder or the small of your back, that isn’t going to look positively ridiculous when you’re 82 years old and not the tight, lean, fighting machine you are today? (cough)

I don’t know the answer to that question, but I’m working on it. The only thing I can think of so far is to get the little cartoon smoking guy at the top of my blog. See, even when I quit smoking (and I will), I’m pretty sure that some iteration of the smoking dude will always appear here at 2HT. So that’s where I’m leaning at the moment.

Course, I could make that 14-hour drive to Kentucky in a couple of weeks and totally change my mind. I could wander into the tattoo parlor, see the needle, and say “No fucking way.” But for now, I’m feeling more and more like this may be my first ink. We’ll see. Thoughts?

Now for a meme. I got tagged by Kim for this Crazy 8′s meme. Haven’t done one in a while, so I thought I’d give it a go. I don’t tag people back, but feel free to yank it and put it on your own blog, of course.

To do list (i.e. “the rules”):

1. Mention the person who tagged me, and I did !!
  2. Complete the list of 8’s, and I did !!
  3. Tag 8 bloggers & tell them I tagged them!

Eight things I am looking forward to:

1. ConFab, June 11-13, roughly. Lots of friends, old and new.
  2. Road trip with Jill TO ConFab.
  3. Watching the “Reaper” series finale some time today.
  4. The magical room-moving fairies that are going to clean my current bedroom and move all my shit into the NEW bedroom.
  5. BlogHer ’09, Chicago (July)! Rooming with Neil, a first time attendee, and a chick magnet.
  6. SecondHand Radio tomorrow night. My guest is my buddy Mike. Gonna be a blast.
  7. Sex. Just kidding, there’s virtually no chance of that happening any time soon.
  8. iPhone 3.0!

Eight things I did yesterday:

1. Worked
  2. Went to Walgreens
  3. Had dinner with Mom & friends at the Olive Garden
  4. Watched far too much television.
  5. Hung out with Mindy and Sarah for a while last night.
  6. Played a fuckton of Zombieville USA on my iPhone.
  7. Listened to Adam Carolla’s podcast. Seriously? Best podcast on Earth.
  8. Smoked.

Eight things I wish I could do:

1. Play piano.
  2. Have sex, maybe on the piano.
  3. Finish one of my frakking novels.
  4. Heal relationships.
  5. Travel the world.
  6. Escape my depression forever.
  7. Get a new pancreas so I can eat giant fishbowls full of Fruity Pebbles again.
  8. Marry Jaime Murray.

3. Watermelon
  4. Cherries
  5. Pineapples
  6. Oranges
  7. Apples
  8. Peaches

Eight places I’d like to travel:

1. Australia

3. England
  4. Biloxi, MS
  5. Dallas, TX
  6. San Antonio, TX
  7. Boca Raton, FL
  8. Sebring, FL
34 Responses to Da Plane! Da Plane!
  1. Dave2
    May 27, 2009 | 3:09 pm

You’re Mr. Wild & Crazy??

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Dave2, Of course! At least, that’s the perception after TequilaCon 07 and 08. Didn’t you get the memo?

2. Kyra
    May 27, 2009 | 5:49 pm

Wait, so you’re not going to tattoo my name on your butt? GEEZE!
    ;)

Want help designing something?

For me, I had to find some design elements I liked, and then incorporate elements that mean a great deal to me. My tattoo has all sorts of meaning, but for example the moon is me, the two upper stars are my children, and there is some nonsense about destiny and a few other things I won’t go into. But in short? The entire tattoo means something, from one side to the other. And I’ll probably look like a crow splattered into my back when I’m 80… but I’m ok with that.

Dammit, now I REALLY want to be there!!!

Kyra’s last blog post..Country Life

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Kyra, Sure, I’d LOVE help designing something! Think you can do something with the smoking man guy? Seriously wish you could be there. :(

3. Rachel
    May 27, 2009 | 6:02 pm

My first fat I let my friends 8 year old daughter pick out. She knew I liked stars and theoon so that’s whY she good me to get. My second tag I’d libra symbol and my birthday. You can get that so you never forget it

Rachel’s last blog post..home improvements

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Rachel, Can’t I just look at your tat to remember your birthday? I’m not tattooing your birthday on my body unless there’s a lot of sex involved.

4. Angel
    May 27, 2009 | 6:15 pm

I TOTALLY regret my first one. I was sixteen and drunk and dumb as a box of rocks. Obviously, because I also got pregnant that year. It’s a few indian feathers tethered together on my leftest breastest. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Worse? It kind of looks like a fly or a bug unless you know what it is or get REAL close, and while I am a flirt, I don’t have a whole lot of folks that close to my chest. (Which is a damned shame because I still pass the pencil test at 32 and after nursing three kids. But I digress….)

My second one, though, I love, love, love. It’s a butterfly on the back of my neck (FUCKING OUCH!). It has a lot of meaning for me because I got it the year my brother passed away, and my favorite memory of him is him catching a butterfly in a jar for me when I was a little girl, and us releasing it together after I got to check it out up close. Also, it has these eyespots on the wings that make it look kind of like an owl’s face, and owls are my mom’s favorite animal, so that was a nice little bonus.

I love it so much that I haven’t gotten another-I can’t think of anything I like more, so what’s the point? I am wanting to get something in honor of my dad, though. I’m thinking of a Playboy bunny, but chubby, like me, heh. He loved Playboy, and my mom hated that he subscribed, and I used to stick up for him, so it’s kind of a funny reference. But if I’m going to have a stereotypical thing like a Playboy bunny put on me, I have to make it a little different by fattening her up, ha!

And holy freaking novella comment, Batman.

Angel’s last blog post..Blast from the past

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Angel, You still pass the pencil test? That’s hot.

5. Kathleen
    May 27, 2009 | 6:29 pm

Another key to ink is not just the what but the where. I had wanted to get a traditional Japanese haiku artwork on my sternum, and was told that the pain would be insane. So, I’ve held off. The other place would be my tummy – but there is no guarantee it will remain flat the older I get. In fact, there is probably more of a guarantee the other way. Ha!
    In short, any place where bone is just under the surface – sternum, foot, spine, hand, etc. – FUCKING OUCH; fatty places – pain not so bad. (or at least, so I’m told – still haven’t actually gone, but will soon…)
    Good luck and post a pic of whatever you get!

Kathleen’s last blog post..Minor Hunter S. Thompson Moment

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Kathleen, Oh, there will be photos, no worries. I’m allergic to pain, so this’ll be interesting.

6. Sybil Law
    May 27, 2009 | 7:17 pm

I am going to think long and hard about this tat of yours, and then get you alll liquored up, and take pictures while you cry.
    I am supportive like that. :P
    xo

Sybil Law’s last blog post..Birthday!

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Sybil Law, LOL. Can’t wait.

7. Crys
    May 27, 2009 | 7:34 pm

tats are hot. i will allow it.

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Crys, Will I see you in Kentucky?

8. B.E. Earl
    May 27, 2009 | 7:57 pm

I spent over a year deciding what my tattoo was gonna be. Lots of images, lots of ideas, but I finally went with the family crest of my ancestors surrounded by a bird of paradise (the bird, not the plant).

I chose it mostly because my father had just passed away and I thought it was a nice sentiment, but it is actually a pretty unique design when I see other tats. I had actually settled on a blue or green parrot instead of the bird of paradise, but as soon as I brought pictures of both to the tattoo artist she immediately got excited for the BoP. “I wanna draw that!” she said. And she was right.

So take your time and don’t let Avitable talk you out of it.

He’s gonna try, ya know. ;)

B.E. Earl’s last blog post..Those 70′s Films (continued)

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@B.E. Earl, Hoping to come up with something that’ll make my tattoo artist say, “I wanna draw that!”

9. ZenBitch
    May 27, 2009 | 8:54 pm

I am so going to video you getting your first tattoo! I’ve got 4 and seriously, none of them hurt and I’m a bit wimptastic when it comes to pain. My next tattoo that I get at ConFab is going to have something to do with Cherry Blossoms. I’m still working out the details and design ideas. I’d kinda also like to get my nose pierced but I’ll save that for another weekend of drunken debauchery.

ZenBitch’s last blog post..A logical question…

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@ZenBitch, The piercing thing will never happen for me. I’ve got my left ear pierced, but that’s it. Video, great idea!

10. noodles
    May 27, 2009 | 9:27 pm

I want another tat! Been thinking about it for awhile. I really want big angel wings down my back, but it would look really dumb half covered up if I wore a tank top. Living in FL, there are many tank top days. Bummer. That and I am too concerned about what other people think of me, which really sucks, other wise I would be covered. I waited till a year and a half ago to get my nose pierced (at 31) and am so happy I did it! The problem with tat’s are they are addictive! Watch out! So worth it though! Keep us posted.

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@noodles, I keep forgetting you’re in FL. We simply MUST meet.

11. Blondefabulous
    May 27, 2009 | 9:54 pm

Sex on a piano is uncomfortable at best, Painful at worst. I am totally untatted too. Being blonde and fabulous is enough…. no ink needed!

Blondefabulous’s last blog post..Four Eyes!

@Blondefabulous, True enough.

12. Martial Arts Mom
    May 28, 2009 | 8:26 am

I got my first tattoo at 39. I designed it myself. I am a Sammy Hagar fanatic and I have a heart-shaped lock with 3 keyholes and 3 skeleton keys on the locked shackle of the lock. (Reference: Three Lock Box) The lock starts out as yellow at the top and fades down to red like a sunrise and under it is some blue wave looking designs to signify the waters of Cabo. Then off to the side, it says “TEN 13″ which is Sammy’s birthdate plus ten and 13 are my lucky numbers. It is on my right back shoulder. I love it and I always will.

Martial Arts Mom’s last blog post..Update on MAM…

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Martial Arts Mom, Very cool. I can’t drive 55.

13. Bubblewench
    May 28, 2009 | 12:40 pm

Can’t wait to watch you get a tat!

I am going for #3 at ConFab, and starting on #4 & #5 when I get home.

It is hard to choose what you want to be on your body for the rest of your life.

I didn’t get my first one until my late 20′s, and it took me about 3 years to choose it. It’s Max from Where the Wild Things Are dancing under the moon in his wolf suit.

What I kept thinking the whole time was “Would I show this to children or friends and not feel like a moron?” It helped.

I think Smokin Guy is the total way to go. He rocks.

Bubblewench’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Bubblewench, I think Max would make for a GREAT tattoo. You’ll be cheering me on from the sidelines in the tattoo parlor, then?

14. Finn
    May 28, 2009 | 1:16 pm

I debated on the whole tattoo thing for a long time because I couldn’t figure out what body part I liked well enough to want to emphasize like that. And then one day I saw what is now my avatar and I knew that was it. It’s now nestled on my lower back, which I love because the heart (if you put it upside down)echoes the curves of a woman’s body.

When you’re ready for it, the idea will come to you.

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Finn, I’ll bet that’s a cool tattoo.

15. ame i.
    May 30, 2009 | 7:47 pm

I liked the Fantasy Island episode where a newlywed couple got off the boat, Tattoo hummed the first two verses of The Wedding March, Mr. Roarke said “Indeed”, my brother (7) and I (10) laughed our asses off. I’m still not sure why we found that funny, but any time either of us (now 40 & 36) say “Indeed”, we laugh like we are stupid. Bro may be stupid but I refuse to admit I am. I am not. really.

@ame i., Indeed.

16. Cindy
    May 31, 2009 | 8:56 pm

I’m going to express the opposite view. You’ve gotten to forty-something without any tattoos – I think THAT’S cool. Everybody has a tattoo these days. I kind of like the fact that I don’t.

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@Cindy, Oh, I’m not 100% positive I’m getting it yet. I’m kinda glad I didn’t give in to a tattoo much younger because whatever it was would’ve likely been very stupid. If I can’t figure out one I’d like, I’ll remain tat-free.

17. DutchBitch
    June 1, 2009 | 6:05 am

Ignore all the comments above, cuz we KNOW you are going to have my portrait tattooed on your ass!

DutchBitch’s last blog post..ConFuzzled

Secondhand Karl Reply:

@DutchBitch, I was thinking about getting your face tattooed on the head of my penis, actually. It’d be as close as I’d get to having your face on my penis.