For those that are too young to remember that quote, “Da Plane! Da Plane!” is from the original Fantasy Island TV show. And that particular line was from the midget known as Tattoo, Khan’s right-hand man. Or Mr. Roarke, whatever.
I bring up Tattoo because I may actually be getting my first tattoo in a couple of weeks. Not the TequilaCon variety of tattoo, which comes off within a few days, a REAL one.
That’s right, Mr. Wild & Crazy is tatless. But my pending road trip to Lexington, Kentucky for the party fest known as ConFab has me thinking about getting one. There’s going to be a tattoo excursion and I think I’m going along for it.
The problem with tattoos, for me anyway, is finding the right one. What the hell do you put on your body PERMANENTLY when you’re one of those people who bore fairly easily? It’s not like my desktop wallpaper, where I can change the picture dozens of times a day if I feel like it. Tattoos don’t come off. Not without lasers, at any rate, and I’ve yet to go peeling off layers of epidermis with laser beams…don’t feel like starting now, either.
So contemplating something cool enough to place on your body is difficult, especially when you’re thinking 40 years down the road. What’s cool enough, significant enough, to put on your arm or shoulder or the small of your back, that isn’t going to look positively ridiculous when you’re 82 years old and not the tight, lean, fighting machine you are today? (cough)
I don’t know the answer to that question, but I’m working on it. The only thing I can think of so far is to get the little cartoon smoking guy at the top of my blog. See, even when I quit smoking (and I will), I’m pretty sure that some iteration of the smoking dude will always appear here at 2HT. So that’s where I’m leaning at the moment.
Course, I could make that 14-hour drive to Kentucky in a couple of weeks and totally change my mind. I could wander into the tattoo parlor, see the needle, and say “No fucking way.” But for now, I’m feeling more and more like this may be my first ink. We’ll see. Thoughts?
Now for a meme. I got tagged by Kim for this Crazy 8′s meme. Haven’t done one in a while, so I thought I’d give it a go. I don’t tag people back, but feel free to yank it and put it on your own blog, of course.
To do list (i.e. “the rules”):
- Mention the person who tagged me, and I did !!
- Complete the list of 8’s, and I did !!
- Tag 8 bloggers & tell them I tagged them!
Eight things I am looking forward to:
- ConFab, June 11-13, roughly. Lots of friends, old and new.
- Road trip with Jill TO ConFab.
- Watching the “Reaper” series finale some time today.
- The magical room-moving fairies that are going to clean my current bedroom and move all my shit into the NEW bedroom.
- BlogHer ’09, Chicago (July)! Rooming with Neil, a first time attendee, and a chick magnet.
- SecondHand Radio tomorrow night. My guest is my buddy Mike. Gonna be a blast.
- Sex. Just kidding, there’s virtually no chance of that happening any time soon.
- iPhone 3.0!
Eight things I did yesterday:
- Went to Walgreens
- Had dinner with Mom & friends at the Olive Garden
- Watched far too much television.
- Hung out with Mindy and Sarah for a while last night.
- Played a fuckton of Zombieville USA on my iPhone.
- Listened to Adam Carolla’s podcast. Seriously? Best podcast on Earth.
Eight things I wish I could do:
- Play piano.
- Have sex, maybe on the piano.
- Finish one of my frakking novels.
- Heal relationships.
- Travel the world.
- Escape my depression forever.
- Get a new pancreas so I can eat giant fishbowls full of Fruity Pebbles again.
- Marry Jaime Murray.
Eight shows I watch:
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
- Criminal Minds
Eight favorite fruits:
Eight places I’d like to travel:
Eight places I’ve lived:
- Westhampton Beach, NY
- Alamogordo, NM
- Biloxi, MS
- Dallas, TX
- San Antonio, TX
- Boca Raton, FL
- Sebring, FL